Cleaning the kitchen chimney can be a real hassle. Especially when it’s covered in grease and smells like a portable urinal. But never fear, with these simple tips on how to clean kitchen chimneys, you can have your kitchen chimney looking and smelling like new in no time!
In Indian desi kitchens, we have a lot of frying, use of spices, and overall just a lot of cooking happening. This means that our chimneys take a beating and can get pretty dirty, really quickly.
If you’re someone who doesn’t clean their chimney often, then you’re probably used to the smell of stale frying oil mixed with spices wafting through your house every time you cook.
Cleaning your chimney should be done every few months, or at the first sign of it starting to smell. The process is actually pretty simple, and only requires a few household ingredients that you probably already have lying around.
Why Should You Clean Kitchen Chimney Regularly?
The very obvious reason to clean your chimney is to remove all grease and oil buildup. If you don’t, it can catch fire very easily. Not just that, it is also a health hazard. All the grease and oil can fume and smoke can cause respiratory problems.
Another reason to keep your chimney clean is that it improves the efficiency of your kitchen range hood. If there is a lot of grease and oil build-up, the range hood will not be able to work as effectively.
Last but not the least, a clean chimney always looks good and adds to the aesthetics of your kitchen.
Cons of Dirty, Greasy Chimney
If you are not cleaning your chimney regularly then it will lead to the following problems-
1. Risk of fire: If the soot and creosote get accumulated in your chimney then they will act as fuel for the fire. Even a little spark in the chimney can cause a huge fire which can damage your house and put your life in danger.
2. Blockage of chimney: If you do not clean your smokestack then the soot will get accumulated and it will block the path of smoke. This can lead to smoke coming back into your house instead of going out.
3. Bad smell: A dirty and greasy chimney can also cause a bad smell in your house.
4. Risk of respiratory problems: If you and your family members are regularly exposed to the smoke coming from a dirty chimney then it can lead to respiratory problems like asthma, coughing, etc.
5. Pests: A dirty chimney can also attract pests like rats, mice, birds, etc. These pests can enter your house through the chimney and can cause a lot of damage.
Thus, it is very important to clean your smokestack regularly to avoid all these problems. You can either do it yourself at home or hire a professional for the job.
How Many Times Should You Clean the Kitchen Chimney?
The answer depends on your kitchen size and cooking habits.
If you do a lot of cooking that produces smoke, you should have the chimney cleaned more often.
As a rule of thumb, small kitchens should be cleaned every two to three months, while large kitchens may only need to be cleaned after every quarter.
Another factor is whether you use oil or gas to cook.
If you use oil, you will need to clean the smokestack more often because it produces more soot.
No matter what your cooking habits are, it’s important to have the chimney cleaned at least once a year to prevent a fire.
How to Clean Kitchen Chimney at Home?
You can clean your kitchen chimney at home with a few steps. I have listed all the materials, products, and steps that you need to follow in order to clean your chimney.
Things you need to clean the chimney at home:
- Baking Soda
- Paint Thinners
- Dishwashing Liquid
- Caustic Soda
- Kitchen Chimney Cleaner Spray
- Kitchen Chimney Cleaning Liquid
- Chimney Cleaning Powder
I have listed more than one method for cleaning the chimney at home. So you can follow the methods that suit you most.
(Method – 1) Use Baking Soda
Baking soda is the most used method to clean chimneys. It is also called Sodium Bicarbonate. The nature of Baking Soda is Alkaline in nature, so it helps to break the dirt and grease easily.
You need to follow these steps for using Baking Soda:
- Take one cup of baking soda and mix it with one cup of water.
- Apply this mixture to the inner wall of the smokestack from top to bottom.
- Let it dry for a few minutes and then wipe it off with a clean cloth.
- Repeat this process two to three times a week for better results.
You may also like: 7 Best Auto-Clean Kitchen Chimneys in India
(Method – 2) Use Vinegar
Vinegar is also used for cleaning the chimney as it is acidic in nature. It helps to remove the dirt and grease from the chimney.
You need to follow these steps for using Vinegar:
- Take one cup of white vinegar and pour it into a bowl.
- Now take a clean cloth and dip it in vinegar.
- Wipe the cloth all over the surface of the chimney.
- Let it sit for some time so that the vinegar can work on the dirt and grease.
- After some time, wipe the smokestack with a damp cloth.
- You can also use a brush to scrub the chimney if it is very dirty.
- Rinse the smokestack with clean water and dry it with a clean cloth.
(Methods – 3) Paint Thinners
You can find paint thinners (Camel Artist Turpentine) on Amazon easily that you can use to clean the chimney. Paint thinners are based on mineral spirits and are good at removing residues. You can use a paint thinner to remove the tough stains and dirt from your chimney.
- First, take a pan and fill it with one part of the paint thinner and three parts of water.
- Now, take a brush and dip it in the pan. Scrub the bristles of the brush on the surface of the chimney to remove the dirt and grime.
- Rinse the chimney with plain water and let it dry completely before using it again.
Camel Artist Turpentine (Paint Thinner)
If you want to get a paint thinner then you can buy it from Amazon. This paint thinner is best for cleaning, oil removal, and grease cleanser.
(Methods – 4) Dishwashing Liquid
Dishwashing liquid is a thing that will be available in every kitchen. So you can also use this liquid to clean and wash your chimney from inside to outside easily. For this, you will need a bucket of water, dishwashing liquid, and a sponge.
- Take some dishwashing liquid in a bowl and mix it with some water.
- Now take a sponge and soak it in this solution. Start scrubbing the surface of your chimney with this sponge. You will see that all the dirt and grease will start coming off easily.
- Now take a bucket of water and pour it inside the smokestack. This will rinse off all the dishwashing liquid from the surface.
- Finally, wipe off the smokestack with a clean and dry cloth.
Presto! Dish Wash Gel
If you want to use dishwashing liquid then Presto! Dish Wash Gel is the best option for you. You can check the price on Amazon.
(Methods – 5) Caustic Soda
This method is very effective in cleaning the smokestack. You will need to take some caustic soda and mix it with water. Apply this mixture to the affected areas of the chimney and leave it for some time. After that, you can scrub the area with a brush to remove the dirt and grime.
(Methods – 6) Kitchen Chimney Cleaner Spray
In this method, you can use a good brand chimney cleaner spray to remove all the grease, dust, and oil traces. You need to spray this solution on all the parts of the smokestack and then wipe it off with a clean cloth. You can repeat this process two to three times a week for better results.
Some of the best Kitchen Chimney Cleaner Sprays are:
1) BLUEOXY Kitchen Cleaner Degreaser
These chimney cleaner sprays consist of Citrus Terpenes Builders and Degreasers which are very effective in removing all the dirt and grease from your chimney.
(Methods – 7) Use Kitchen Chimney Cleaning Liquid
Use a kitchen chimney cleaning liquid to clean your chimney. This is the easiest and fastest way to clean your chimney. Simply pour the liquid into the opening of your smokestack and let it run down the sides.
The liquid will break up any dirt or debris that may be stuck to the sides of your smokestack. You can then use a brush to scrub away any remaining dirt.
Clecide Oven Cleaner
Here is the best liquid cleaner for the kitchen. It has a powerful cleaning effect and can quickly remove stubborn stains. It is also easy to use. Simply pour the liquid into the opening of your smokestack and let it run down the sides. The liquid will break up any dirt or debris that may be stuck to the sides of your chimney.
(Methods – 8) Chimney Cleaning Powder
Last but not least is the powder method. In this method, a powder is sprinkled on the surface of the smokestack and then left for some time to work its magic. After a while, the powder will have seeped through the dirt and grime, making it easier to wipe off.
One advantage of using this method is that it is relatively cheap and easy to find. However, the downside is that it can be quite messy and require some elbow grease to get the job done.
Unitedlys ® Drain & Chimney Cleaner
Unitedlys is one of the best powder cleaners in the market. You can use it to clean the chimney pipes, fireplaces, stoves, and even barbecue grills.
The Unitedlys ® Drain & Chimney Cleaner is made of natural ingredients that are safe for the environment and will not harm your chimney.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to clean kitchen chimney grease?
There are eight different methods that I have mentioned above to remove and clean the kitchen chimney grease. You can use any of the methods that suit you the best.
Can we use vinegar to clean the kitchen chimney?
Yes, you can use vinegar to clean your kitchen smokestack. Simply pour some vinegar into the opening of your chimney and let it run down the sides. The vinegar will help to break up any dirt or debris that may be stuck to the sides of your chimney. You can then use a brush to scrub away any remaining dirt.
How to clean chimney pipes?
You can use any of the eight methods that I have mentioned above to clean your chimney pipe.
Can I clean the chimney motor?
Cleaning the motor with water or anything liquid can cause problems. The best way to clean the motor is to use a dry cloth or vacuum cleaner attachment.
Do I need to clean the filters of the chimney?
Yes, you need to clean the filters of your chimney on a regular basis. The frequency of cleaning will depend on how often you use your chimney.
What is the best time to clean the chimney?
The best time to clean your chimney is in the spring or fall. This will help to ensure that your chimney is free of any debris that could potentially cause a fire.
I hope that this guide on how to clean kitchen smokestack was helpful for you. I have explained all the eight methods that you can easily follow at home to clean your kitchen chimney. You can use any of the methods that suit you the best.
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below. I would love to hear from you.
Leave a Reply